Have you or a loved one been charged with a drug crime in New York? A conviction for a drug crime in New York can result in loss of driving privileges, professional licenses, big fines, lengthy prison sentences, and a permanent criminal record. Drug crimes are considered very serious offenses in New York, and if you or a loved one have been arrested or charged, it’s critical you secure representation from an experienced New York drug crime lawyer.
Illegal and Regulated Drugs in New York
The law in New York is very similar to the federal law in regard to what is considered a controlled substance. If something is defined as a controlled substance, it means an individual may not possess it without legal permission.
Valid permission is almost always a doctor’s prescription. Controlled substances include:
- Methamphetamine (Meth)
- MDMA (Ecstasy or Molly)
- LSD (Acid)
Drug Cases: Types of Controlled Substances Offenses in New York
In New York, you may be charged with a misdemeanor or felony for a drug crime. Drug crime charges involve possession, sale, and paraphernalia.
- Drug Possession: There are six different degrees of criminal possession of a controlled substance. Charges will increase if the prosecutor can prove possession was with the intent to sell, distribute, or manufacture.
- Drug Sale: The illegal sale of a controlled substance is a felony in New York. Like possession, there are five degrees of criminal sale. Factors that escalate the charges include the type of drug, amount, and if the sale took place near a school.
- Paraphernalia: Drug paraphernalia refers to chemicals, capsules, scales, and baggies used for the manufacturing or distribution of controlled substances. The possession of hypodermic needles is illegal as well without legal permission.
Agencies that may investigate a federal crime in New York include:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- Environment Protection Agency (EPA), Office of the Inspector General
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF)
New York Drug Crime Defense Attorney Gilbert C. Parris
The federal government has vast resources to prosecute you if you have been charged with a crime in U.S. District Court. It’s critical that your attorney has the experience and ability to navigate and counter the prosecution. Criminal defense lawyer Gilbert C. Parris has been practicing criminal law for over 20 years. He spent years on the other side working as a State Prosecutor in Kings County, NY. He leverages his unique experience on both sides of the courtroom to build strong defense strategies for every client. Mr. Parris can help you or your loved one with all aspects of a federal crime case and give you the best chance for a favorable outcome.