Call us at:212-257-1236


Thoughts and ideas from Law offices of Gilbert C Parris

After a New York DUI: Getting Your License Back

dui lawyers nyc

An arrest in New York for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI), or driving while impaired (DWI), has serious consequences for you: personal, professional, emotional, and financial.

One of the difficult aspects of the arrest or conviction is the loss of your driver’s license for a period of time. You depend on your car for personal and family needs; you may also require a vehicle to get to and from your job, or for fulfilling your employment responsibilities.

Under New York law, you will have points added to your driving record and your license can be suspended or revoked for a period of time, depending on whether you are a first-time offender and otherwise based on the circumstances.

And just recently, New York has passed new rules aimed at repeat offenders, including possible lifetime revocation in the most severe cases.

There are ways to minimize the effects of a temporary loss of a driver’s license as well as procedures for having a suspended or revoked license reinstated.

dui lawyers nycAfter a New York DUI: Getting Your License Back

You may be eligible for a conditional, restricted license or driving privilege during the period of suspension or revocation if you enroll in the state’s Drinking Driver Program (DDP).

A restricted license allows you to drive in certain situations; most particularly, to get to work or class, or for medical care, or to go to classes related to your DUI/DWI arrest.

When you receive your “Order of Suspension or Revocation” from the DMV, it will include a nearby location where you may enroll in the DDP program and apply for a conditional license or permit.

How to Get a New License or Permit

Once your revocation period has ended, you may re-apply to the DMV Driver Improvement Adjudication Unit (KIAU) to get a new license or permit.

There may be fees and penalties. You may have to take the driving tests again — knowledge, driving, and vision — and showing proof of financial responsibility. If you are a repeat offender, you may have to install an ignition lock device on your vehicle.

Your application may not be approved if you have a bad driving record or otherwise do not meet DMV requirements. You can submit the reinstatement application (Form MV-44) and fees in person at any local DMV office, or you apply by mail.